There has been a lot of controversy over Beyoncé changing the lyrics to her song Resentment. I remember when this song came out I was dealing with personal loss. After the loss, I experienced some resentment towards someone and the current situation. I would sit and listen to some of the lyrics as they ministered to my spirit.
“I wish I could believe you then I’ll be alright but now everything you told me really don’t apply to the way I feel inside. Loving you was easy once upon a time but now my suspicions of you have multiplied, and it’s all because you lied.”Beyoncé
Even when our best efforts to detach, we may still have moments when the resentments and harsh feelings of another interfere with our personal peace. We react as if someone were throwing darts or rocks at us. All the efforts in the world to ignore the resentment may not help if we’re feeling the impact of each harsh feeling the impact of each harsh feelings thrown at us.
Recommendations that have helped me in the past, and present:
- Talk to the person and try to reason things out. If that is not possible, send them a box of blessings through prayer.
- Protect yourself emotionally, and spiritually. Take some quiet time, close your eyes, and envision yourself encased in a large cube of mirrors. Totally protected, you can see out, but others can’t see in. All they see when they look at you is themselves. Spiritually protect yourself by envisioning a flaming circle of fire around you, around the mirrors, too.
- Look deep within yourself and find the emotional block, the unresolved issue, or an old belief that makes you vulnerable to that energy, to that person. Then release it. Heal it by acknowledging it, feeling it, and letting it go.
- Take a closer look. The pressure and resentment you’re feeling may be your own. Release them. Heal yourself.
- Lastly, but not least thank that person for helping you heal, grow, and decide what you do not need, or want in the future. Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you or makes you happy.